TOPSIDE COOKING GUIDE
bring to room temperature.
- Get the beef out of the fridge and bring to room temperature.Preheat your oven to 210°C for fan assisted or 230°C for ovens without a fan (gas 8).
- Choose a large, heavy-based roasting tray, ideally with deep sides and handles for easy movement.
- Season the meat with good quality sea salt just prior to cooking.
- Make a trivet by roughly chopping equal amounts of onion, carrot and celery (or our preferred choice of celeriac, the root of the celery) plus a bay leaf, sprig of thyme and a few black peppercorns.
- Place the beef fat side up onto the trivet which should line the base of the tray.
- Place in the centre of the oven and roast for 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 160°C or 180°C without a fan(gas 4). Continue roasting for 12-15 minutes per 500g reaching a core temperature of 52°C before resting for a medium rare joint.
- Remove from the oven, put onto a clean tray and keep warm by covering with a sheet of foil. Rest for a minimum of 20 minutes before carving, leaving the roasted vegetables in the tray for the gravy.
- For the gravy, make up 500ml of beef stock, then deglaze roasting tray with this stock stirring in all the caramelised juices from the tray. Next, pass through a fine sieve pushing all the juices from the vegetables into a clean saucepan. Bring to a simmer and thicken if required by whisking in a teaspoon of cornflour mixed with a little cold water and reduce till you reach a rich, glossy gravy.