Turkey breast roll is a very convenient Christmas joint if you have a small oven or fewer people. All breast meat and rolled into a joint
Turkey breast roll cooking time
- Bring the joint up to room temperature. Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time, allowing 15 minutes per 450g, plus a further 20-30 minutes. the weight should be on your Christmas receipt.
- Preheat the oven to 220oc / fan 200oc / gas mark 7. Put the turkey joint, skin side up in a roasting tin pour around 450ml water or a mixture of white wine and chicken stock.
- Spread softened butter over the skin and season well.
- Cover the joint and tin completely with foil, sealing it well under the rim of the tin, then roast for 20 minutes – this gets the heat right into the centre of the joint.
- Lower the temperature to 200oc / fan 180oc / gas mark 6 and cook for the remainder of the calculated cooking time, uncovering the joint for the last 20 minutes cooking time to brown the skin, you can also add streaky bacon at this point.
please note this is purely a guide and you should check your bird thoroughly to ensure it is cooked as ovens can vary. Do this by checking your juices are running clear from the deepest part of the bird. A turkey thermometer is a good investment should you still be unsure.